Stripe: The Reusable Source You Provided Is Consumed Because The Payment Method Was Not Attached To A Customer When It Was Last Charged
What This Means
The payment method was not added to Stripe as a saved payment method that is attached to a customer, so Stripe does not recognize the payment method as a "reusable source".
In order to bill the same payment method for recurring orders, it must be attached to the customer record in Stripe as a "reusable source".
Common Causes For This Error
- The payment method was used to checkout from your site, but was not saved as a payment method for the customer.
- The payment method added to Stripe, but was not added to Stripe as a saved payment method belonging to the customer, so Stripe does not recognize the payment method as a "reusable source".
- The Customer deleted the payment method that was selected for their Scheduled Order.
Suggested Next Steps
- Search for the Customer in your Stripe Gateway and confirm that this Customer's billing profile can or cannot be found and that a payment method is available for their customer profile.
- If a new payment profile can be found, you can edit the Scheduled Order and create a new payment method for this Scheduled Order by copying the Customer's billing information into their Scheduled Order. (See "Adding A New Payment Method for Your Customer?" below).
- You can also contact the customer to have them add a new payment method and add it to their Scheduled Order in My Account > Payment Methods.
- The Autoship Cloud plugin will alert them to apply the new payment method to their Scheduled Order(s), so they can choose to re-activate their failed Scheduled Order(s) using their new payment method.
Adding A New Payment Method for Your Customer?
If you are adding a new payment method for your Customer directly to your payment gateway (manually), ensure that you edit the failed Scheduled Order, add a new payment method, and copy the required billing information from your payment gateway directly to their Scheduled Order including:
- Gateway CustomerId
- Gateway PaymentId
- Billing Address
- Payment Method Description (optional, but strongly suggested because it is used to display the payment method to your customer)
After Resolving the Issue
Once this issue is resolved, you should use the action to Restart Processing the Failed Scheduled Order.
Updated 4 months ago